top of page
  • Writer's pictureProfessional Pet Sitters

Tablefood and your Pets. Rethink that next scrap of food!

All these years I was sure I was my dog's number one fan and knew all the good things for him.

Even though I did not let any of them eat from the table (after my first dog, and after I was married and in charge - all things in my domain).  I did learn lessons from that first dog though and not eating from the table was one of them.

Tablefood and your Pets. Rethink that next scrap of food! | Professional Pet Sitters, Inc. | Chicago

Like I said, I am older now and was sure I knew all the good things my dog could eat. Boy was I in for a surprise. After doing some research, I did not realize all the things that are really harmful for my dog. There are many more than I suspected and some of them really surprised me.

I have no idea why a dog would eat an avocado but it is in fact a very harmful vegetable for her to eat. So next next time you are serving up a hamburger and think it would spice your dog's day by putting some guacamole on it DON'T.

Who would have guessed that adult beverages ( alcohol ) is not good, then again now I remember the affect it had on some of my friends the last time they were over...yikes..

I read this and was stunned; “Onions and garlic in all forms -- powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated -- can destroy a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia. That can happen even with the onion powder found in some baby food.”

I probably contributed to an early demise every time I gave my Old English Sheepdog, Tonya, a plate full of spaghetti loaded with onions but it was sure fun to watch her smiling mug every time she finished off a plate

In spite of the fact we are making lite of some of these serious things this is an important one to remember; “Caffeine in large enough quantities can be fatal for a dog. And, there is no antidote. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, fits, and bleeding. In addition to tea and coffee - including beans and grounds -- caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate, colas, and stimulant drinks such as Red Bull. It's also in some cold medicines and pain killers”.

Here is another one that I am now feeling pretty guilty about every time I “accidentally “ dropped a chocolate chip cookie on kitchen floor; “Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog's body. That can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Eventually, the dog may have seizures. Liver failure can occur within just a few days.”

“Dogs explore with their mouth. And, no matter how cautious you are, it's possible your dog can find and swallow what it shouldn't. It's a smart idea to always keep the number of your local vet, the closest emergency clinic, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center -- (888) 426-4435 -- where you know you can find it in an emergency. And, if you think your dog has consumed something that's toxic, call for emergency help at once.”

I know, in a way, this has been a heavy subject but next time I will talk about treats and the things that make your pet and your spouse like you (at least I think I can help with the first one!!).


Leroy Abernathy - Propet Writer

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page